The Shadows are not only filled with the unseen...with the unknown. Now they are a living entity.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Working on Aisha Blackwell's Chronicles

This excerpt is subject to change as the writing process goes along, so try to keep it in mind.


“Have you ever noticed how hard it is to find a shadow in the night? I guess that’s why so many people are so obsessed with the idea of bringing things to the light…to the clear, so to speak.” 
“Come closer…if you dare.”
I forced down the laugh bubbling through me. Strange sensation that. So much have change in so little time that every now and then I had a hard time believing it myself. Screwing up my face, “Nah. I’ve already seen what you’ve got going on there and it is not that impressive; so when I refuse to come any closer is not out of cowardice but… out of lack of interest, really.” I finished with a shrug before turning around. Once I was sure to have his attention, because really, the heat of his look gave him away- I started to walk away from him. As if I didn’t find him threat enough to worry about giving him my back right after insulting him.  
He lunched for me and snaked his arms around my middle in a possessive vise grip that pushed the air out of my hungry lungs. Just like that. Would have been too much to ask for a war cry before the attack? I wished he had done so even more when a rather unbecoming yelp escaped my lips. We both stopped to acknowledge each other; in the way he had me, I had to look at him over my shoulder. Not that I was complaining much. I’ve been in worse situations. The things one endure…really. I was such a hopeless forgiving soul.
“What was that little sound?” He asked between laughs. “I bet I can make you do it again.” He waggle his eyebrows. 
I threw him a coy smile; just for that, he should have known I was up to no good. I guess this was one silver lining of being human like…keeping my emotions and thoughts to myself whenever I desired to do so. Like in this instance, for example. I didn’t want to admit he was using far too much force on my ribs; had the Atari been in working order, I wouldn’t have had a choice on the matter. I just didn’t want him to hold back with me…I wanted all of him for as long as I was able…before—
I forced my mind back to the present. For a second all my attention was captured and then enthralled by the alien feeling of my hands rubbing against Ashlan’s stubbles. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that. Not that I ever would…I knew this thing that was happening to me was not a permanent kind of thing. Patting his cheek, a bit to hard if we are going for the truth, “Oh, Ash. That little sound?” He nodded eagerly, mischief shinning in his eyes, “was just a diversion, so when I did this you didn’t see it coming.” I accommodated my body just right and put all my upper body strength into throwing him over my head.  He didn’t have a real chance to stop me since I was moving before the words were out of my mouth.  
He hit the ground with a grunt, “Why, you sneaky, devious, underhanded…” 
I waved him off, “Oh, shhhush it. Do you want to make me blush with your flattery?” Then with a mocking pout, “And not that I am about to instruct you on how to properly complement me, far be it from me, what you being the man and all that…but you should have stopped at the first one…they all mean the same, you know.”
He narrowed his eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment